Busy professionals often take their health for granted. We do that because we think, ‘I’m fine. Nothing will happen to me.’ We all need to recognize that our health is that aspect of our life that allows us to have pockets in other areas. Think about that concept as you consider the following Keys to Keeping Chaos at Bay:
- Get a complete physical so you know where you stand health-wise. Call to make the appointment today. What are you risking by waiting?
- Once a year, make all the important check-up appointments that your doctor has recommended. You know what yearly check-ups I mean, don’t you?
- Don’t forget your dentist as one of your important medical appointments. It’s amazing what health pockets can be eliminated if our dental health is in decline. Haven’t you ever looked at those pictures at your dentist’s office?
- Take a good look through your medicine cabinet. What items are past their expiration dates? Throw out everything that has expired.
- Make a list of everything you DO take (including supplements) and make a copy of this list to give to every doctor and to carry with you in your planner or smartphone. I will always access my list when I donate blood, for example, and it helps speed the process along.
- If you’re allergic to anything, be sure you wear a medical alert bracelet whenever you go out and about to exercise.
- Monitor any symptoms that you have. Do you notice patterns? Just keep a log in your planner.
- Take a multi-vitamin. It can’t hurt. And it might help.
- Get enough sleep. Drowsy driving is hazardous to your health.
- Look into alternative medicine. Therapeutic massage, acupuncture, chiropractic and others are considered to be mainstream medicine and may even be covered by your insurance. Even if they aren’t, consider them anyway.
The main idea with this week’s list is to recognize that when your health isn’t there, ALL of the other areas of your life are affected. Consequently, the need to put in pockets for your health is of paramount importance.
And if you liked these tips, feel free to check out Putting Pockets in Your Personal Life: 52 Tips to Implement Immediately. If you know you are operating without any “pockets,” and you realize that you have lost sight of the difference between calm and crazed, then this booklet will help you regain that realization and subsequently DO something about it.
Inside, you’ll find practical ideas to implement, letting you actually choose to put in pockets in your personal life (i.e., some protected space, both the physical and metaphorical). With these 52 tips in-hand, and you’ll be well on your way to greater peace of mind and productivity.